Functions & Uses of Blood Plasma

20 May, 2020

Blood plasma has various uses besides helping treat life-threatening diseases.

Blood plasma is also known as the 'liquid gold' that runs in our veins. It comprises proteins essential for our body's nourishment. Plasma constitutes 55% of our blood, whereas the remaining 45% comprises red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. A whopping 92% of the liquid in plasma is water. Its other constituents include albumin, gamma globulin, and anti-hemophilic factor. All of these have a variety of purposes that help stabilize the functions in a human body.

What are the functions of blood plasma?
Plasma in a human body helps to serve a multitude of functions. The primary functions are as below:

  • Regulating blood flow and maintaining blood pressure.
  • Providing proteins to the body that enhance its immunity and help it prevent clotting.
  • Transporting essential electrolytes like sodium and potassium to different muscles in the body.
  • Supporting cell generation in the body by helping maintain the pH balance.
     

What are the other uses of blood plasma?
The collected blood plasma is typically given to trauma patients that have endured burn or shock. It is also supplied to those with severe liver diseases or deficiencies resulting in multiple clots. Providing such patients with plasma can boost their blood volume, which helps prevent shocks and therefore blood clots. 

 

 

More Topics

The iPlasma App Is Coming.

Be The First To Experience It.

Copyright © 2020 iPlasma Technology LLC. All rights reserved.